How the KJB changed the way we speak
Date Published: Friday, 28 January 2011
Stephen Tomkins writes of how the impact of the King James Bible is still being reflected in the way we speak and write today.
In his article for the BBC, Stephen Tomkins writes of how the impact of the King James Bible is still being reflected in the way we speak and write today.
There are many phrases from the Bible which are still very much with us today, including:
- Turned the world upside down - Acts 17:6
- God forbid - Romans 3:4
- Take root - 2 Kings 19:30
- The powers that be - Romans 13:1
- Filthy lucre - 1 Timothy 3:3
- No peace for the wicked - Isaiah 57: 21
- A fly in the ointment - Ecclesiastes 10:1
- Wheels within wheels - Ezekiel 10:10
- The blind leading the blind - Matthew 15:14
- Feet of clay - Daniel 2:33
Read Stephen Tomkins article in full on the BBC website: